Thursday, December 15, 2011

Santa Key Redux

I finally got a Santa Key because we don't have a fireplace. The kids were uber excited about it, so Malachi tried his best to jam it in the lock when I wasn't looking and broke it. Grrr.

After a perusal, I don't even know what it's made of, I managed with no effort to snap a second part off. So, I got to work to fix up a better Santa Key.
I have some skeleton keys I picked up at a flea market last summer, so I selected one that fit the Santa face from the original key.


I had to make them match. I decided to go with gold. I love gold at Christmas. I used gold Rub n' Buff.

I used a paint brush so I could get it in all the little crevices, but either with a brush or finger, you just rub it on and let it set for a bit to dry. 


Then buff it with a paper towel. I overzealously buffed (or possibly didn't wait long enough) and had to reapply.


I used epoxy to adhere the Santa to the skeleton key.
So then more waiting to let it dry. I'm not good at waiting.
Tied a ribbon through and hung it on the door. 


This one is much sturdier so even if the kids attempt to use it again, I doubt it would break.


This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff,  (T) A Little Birdie Told Me  Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, , Show Me What Ya Got,  (W) Wow MeBlue Cricket Design, What I Whipped UpWicked Awesome Wednesday, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH)   Creative Juice, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's,  (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday,  Lovely Crafty Weekend , Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, , Craft Goodies, (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes , Funky Junk Interiors (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop, Under the Table and Dreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn! What's on your mind?