Sunday, December 11, 2011

New "Old" Sign

I've wanted an "old" sign for my kitchen forever. Just now got around to it.

Remember when we redid our deck steps? Well, I used a plank from the old steps that we took off since it's a good size and already perfectly weathered.
I experimented to see if I could get the inkjet printer ink to transfer, but no go. All the techniques call for a laser printer.


Since that didn't work, this called for a stencil. So, I printed my words and then cut them out, careful to keep the outline intact because that's the part I needed.
It took several pieces of paper, so I made sure to line everything back up and then taped it all in place on my wood plank.
Because I had to line the letters up properly, I printed the word smaller so I knew what it should look like.

I mixed black acrylic paint with water to make it very thin and then painted the letters. Because I just used paper, I did not slop paint on the edges much so that I did not have to worry about bleeding too much.
I peeled off the stencil and let it dry. I definitely looked weathered, but it didn't quite pop enough. 

This is a really awkward angle. I hope you aren't getting dizzy!

Now, I don't know why, but I really didn't want color on this one. Finally, I decided to use the black like a shadow, and paint the letters again with watered down white paint.

I just free-handed it, but you could put your stencil back down. I brushed the white very thin in some places and let it pool and soak into the wood in others. I hoped this would create a uneven weathered look.

It is thick, so we hung it by screwing four really long screws back into the holes that used to hold down as a step.


Why MI cherries? I like cherries and I thought that font would work well with the word cherries. 


This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff,  (T) A Little Birdie Told Me  Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, , Show Me What Ya Got,  (W) Wow MeBlue Cricket Design, What I Whipped UpWicked Awesome Wednesday, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH)   Creative Juice, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's,  (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday,  Lovely Crafty Weekend , Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, , Craft Goodies, (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes , Funky Junk Interiors (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop, Under the Table and Dreaming
 

6 comments:

  1. oh, this is great! I love the reuse of an old deck board. Your process to make a stencil is awesome for those of use without the latest technology. And your final product is perfect for the kitchen. Nice job!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking sign! I want a sign in my kitchen too! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, you did a beautiful job with you sign!

    Thanks so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me...", my friend! Just a reminder that leaving a comment on the post this week gives you an automatic entry into my Wednesday night drawing for the $25 GC to the Hodgson Mill online store.

    Warmest wishes and happy holidays,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that...I want one! I'm a new follower. Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really BEAUTIFUL.. I LOVE it.. So pretty.. I would LOVE for you to Please stop in and share/link via my Pin Inspirational Party happening today : )) *SOO pin Worthy!!* THANK YOU.. Wishing you an amazing rest of the week.. ~ Marilyn<--newest HAPPY follower here. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/hello-artsy-friends-stopping-in-today.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen,

    Thank you so much for being a part of the holiday spirit at Rook No. 17 last Tuesday. Can't wait to see what you have to share today!

    Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?