Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Ubiquitous Starbucks Bottle

I know you have seen them. And seen tons of projects using them. I have to make a confession. I don't like Starbucks. Like, at all. Are you still there? Can we still be friends?

I LOVE milk bottles. I even collect them.

I just have a few (and a couple more not pictured, they were shy, I guess).

So, the real reason I love the Starbucks frappuccino bottles is because they are shaped like mini milk bottles. I found them on sale, so I bought them.

For a quick and easy project I made a new soap dispenser.

First, drink the stuff, eh. Peel the labels, and soak a bit to get the rest of the glue off. This was easier than I expected. Clean it out.


Then I used my Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint and painted the lid. Once dry, I drilled a hole in the lid to fit the pump from the store bought liquid soap.

I smeared epoxy around the pump where it would meet the lid and inserted the pump, making sure to push them all the way together.

Poured my soap into the new dispenser and screwed on the lid.
It was fine. But then I realized I did not like the dark lid with the light pump, and I would rather have silver accents.


So, I got out my silver leaf Rub 'n Buff (find it at craft stores), 

and rubbed it on the lid and pump.

Much better. 

Now, I don't know how well the Rub 'n Buff will last on the pump since it is plastic. If I had it on hand, I might have tried a metallic spray paint, but that can be tricky with plastic too. However, the rub and buff will be fine on the lid. It's great to revitalize many things, like lamps. :)

So, I have a few more bottles to use up. We will see what else I can do with them.

This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) Mad Skills , C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three BirdsMasterpiece Mondays, Making the World Cuter, Sarahndipities, A Little Birdie Told Me (T) Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, Ten Buck Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Anything Related, Tuesday's Treasures, Strictly Homemade, Show Me What Ya Got, Time to Shine, Show Off Your Crafty Side (W) Wow Me Workshop Wednesday, Whassup Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made, What I Whipped Up, The Trendy Treehouse, Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Good Life Wednesday, Inspiring Creativity, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) Beyond the Picket Fence  Creative Juice, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's, Thrilling Thursday, (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday, SevenThirtyThree , Lovely Crafty Weekend , Simply Designing, Creative Corner, Tickled Pink 504 Main, Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence, Friday Flair, Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, Frugal Friday, Craft Goodies, I'm Lovin' It, Flaunt It Fridays (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop
 

24 comments:

  1. i dont like starbucks either! this turned out way cute i love old bottles:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bottles of any sort are amazing and I love this project! This would look great in my kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I would love for you to come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party. http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow good idea! I found you on gingersnaps link party. I love this idea! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Thanks for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea. This looks very cute with the silver top.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I really like the idea with the DIY dispenser, I've seen that London cleaners use such dispensers, but since I know how to make my own, I am really excited to try it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you thru At the Picket Fence! What a cool idea! I love milk bottles too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea! Do you know if you can buy pumps without having to buy a bottle of soap? I'm your newest follower! Love for you to come by and visit me @ twosidesoftherainbow.blogspot.com : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you can just buy pumps. I know Rose Mountain Herbs sells them and other packaging. I have ordered oils there and found them to be reliable. I've never ordered any of the packaging though. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/misc.html

    I know there are other places too if you search the internet. Good luck! Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I like the silver look better too. So much nicer than those plastic soap dispensers, and it's a great way to reuse glass bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your milk bottle collection is lovely. The silver on the lid looks much better. Thanks for adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen, this is awesome! And yes, we can still be friends. I'm never one to turn down a cup of coffee, so if Starbucks is near by, I'll sometimes grab a latte, but as far as those drinks in a bottle go, I'd much prefer your classy soap pump, to a high-fructose chug!

    Thank you for linking up to A Little Birdie Told Me! I'm pinning your post to my "Repurposing Genius" board on Pinterest.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting to WorkShop Wednesday! Let me kow if the paint stays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really is genius! I have seen the mason jar ones before but I have saved a few of these frappuccino bottles and never thought of using them that way! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I love this idea! I am pinning it so I can "steal"it! You're not alone on the Starbucks thing! They do make some cute bottles though! I am following you now and would love it if you stopped by and looked at my blog and follow back if you like what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love your tutorial and we have linked up to your post over at: http://belleandbeauantiquarian.blogspot.com/2012/11/more-than-message-in-bottle.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so lucky to have a friend who is addicted to the starbucks in the cute milk bottle stuff. Like you I find it horrible. She gives me her bottles! She drinks 2 a day so my stockpile has gotten huge! 3 months X 2 a day.. you get the idea. I've just learned how to make wire baskets to hold them. I can't wait to see how they turn out. Like you I now have starbucks milk bottle with pumps for.. everything! I even put spouts on two for oil & vinegar dispensers. A slew of them I used for labeled spice jars. I still have several boxes of them and planning to fill them with dry drink mixes as Xmas gifts. I'd love to find some fairly large glass jars or bottles to use as pitchers to make sets of pitchers and starbucks glass milk bottle glasses. So many lovely bottles, so many ideas, so little time! If anyone wants any, pay for the shipping and I'll gladly share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice blog!
    Looking for Automatic Soap Dispenser. TDL hygine offers you an Automatic & Auto Sensor cheap Soap Dispenser with exclusive offers better price. sensor soap dispenser

    ReplyDelete

  20. บริการเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ปี 2022 เกมให้เลือกเล่นมากกว่า 1,000 เกมทดลองเล่นสล็อตpgฟรี สล็อตออนไลน์ ซุปเปอร์สล็อต ซุปเปอร์สล็อต78

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?