Monday, June 20, 2011

AWE Knock-off pillow

This post could also be title "The Post in Which I Use a Crazy Amount of Pictures and Lots of Words Just for a Pillow." But that seemed a little long.


I love it when my At West End catalog arrives. Do you get this one? You should. I love this Paris pillow:

And it's a great price, but my hang up is that although I'd love to visit Paris, I've never been. And while I find great inspiration in all things french, I'm not all that french-crazed. I just couldn't feel connected to the Paris pillow.


I started a bit of a travel theme in our living room awhile back. I got tired of only having my own artwork on the walls, and I wanted an affordable change. I love great graphic design and vintage ads are a great source.
So I went to All Posters and searched for vintage travel posters, and I was looking for ones that had orange in them since that was my main accent color. But there were too many great ones, so I further narrowed myself down to U.S. Travel.




So, a latitude and longitude pillow would fit right in. I settled on Boston. It's where Mateo and I began our married life.


I had some muslin, but I wanted a brighter color. So I bought some fabric dye.


And started dying the fabric.


I'll be honest, I didn't completely follow the directions. I didn't have an hour to dedicate to the process, and it came out fine. Disregard the directions at your own risk.


So, then I had to convince myself to actually get out my sewing machine. We haven't been friends lately. However, it is well protected.


I often have a sniper keeping watch when I sew. Life with little boys. ;)


I had a pillow form I was working with, so I just sewed it to the proper dimensions. Turned it right sides out.


On the computer I looked up the latitude and longitude for Boston and typed up my whole image. Then I had to mirror image it, and I printed it on iron transfer paper.


I considered painting it, but I thought this would give it a much cleaner look. So, I followed the instruction to use the transfer.

I didn't heat the edges enough, so I laid the transfer paper back down and pressed again with the iron.

Stuffed my pillow inside, sewed up the side by hand and I have my Boston pillow.


I love it. It fits right into my scheme, and it means something to us.


This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) Mad Skills , C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three BirdsMasterpiece Mondays, Making the World Cuter, Sarahndipities, A Little Birdie Told Me (T) Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, Ten Buck Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Anything Related, Tuesday's Treasures, Strictly Homemade, Show Me What Ya Got, Time to Shine, Show Off Your Crafty Side (W) Wow Me Workshop Wednesday, Whassup Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made, What I Whipped Up, The Trendy Treehouse, Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Good Life Wednesday, Inspiring Creativity, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) Beyond the Picket Fence  Creative Juice, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's, Thrilling Thursday, (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday, SevenThirtyThree , Lovely Crafty Weekend , Simply Designing, Creative Corner, Tickled Pink 504 Main, Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence, Friday Flair, Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, Frugal Friday, Craft Goodies, I'm Lovin' It, Flaunt It Fridays (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop

24 comments:

  1. The pillow turned out great and I love that it's meaningful...thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a new follower! Can't believe all the linky parties you join...what a great list. Thanks for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, I love vintage travel images and the pillow turned out beautifullly. Seems like you made up with your sewing machine and dogged the sniper :) Thanks for you comments on my blog as it has led me to yours and I am now following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow is really beautiful. Love how you used the longitude and latitudes of the city where you met your husband! So special and endearing! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi what a great pillow!
    Saw you on Wednesday Linky, now google following you, Karima x
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I LOVE it! Boston is one of my FAVORITE places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!! I keep seeing Pillows like this but I refuse to pay $70 for a pillow! I've gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gasp! It's so beautiful. I'm totally making one of these. I love that you dyed it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bright color. Glad you got out your sewing machine - the pillow looks fabulous.
    Visiting you from Thrifty Decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Boston pillow! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so clever! My son is getting married in a few weeks and they'll be moving to BOSTON so I believe I will be copying this idea and making it for them as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pillow turned out beautiful! I had to laugh because I've bought some of that fabric dye to use on an apron and just haven't used it yet. I might just follow the instructions though, since I'm cautious like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening through Mondays!
    I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.
    Hope to see you soon.
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
    come strut your stuff

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I love the bright green color as well. Your comment about the sniper made me literally lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I would love to make a Chicago pillow! And those posters are awesome, I think I will be visiting All Posters! Nice Work!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea!! i love the location aspect and the fact you made your color. Great idea!! You are too funny too...life with boys!!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Strictly Homemade Tuesday. As always you are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pillow...and the green color. It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pillow! You did a great job!Love the location aspect. Thanks for sharing this lovely idea.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just lovely! Love that you chose a meaningful location! Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday To Do Party! Can't wait to see what you link this week!
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love the way you customized the lat/long theme to be a meaningful compliment to your home decor. You did a wonderful job with the pillow. Such a great idea!

    Thank you for linking up another excellent project on "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Iron transfer paper- where do I get this? I'd love it if you shared this with WorkShop Wednesday. It would make a great addition to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never tried dying fabric yet, but I love how your pillow turned out! Thanks so much for linking up to the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
    Crystal
    www.chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not friends with my sewing machine lately either...lol...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice last week. Hope to see you back this evening

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this pillow, especially the color - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Keep knocking thimgs off like that and u will have one beautifully decorated house!
    Thanks for linking to WorkShop Wednesday! Hope to see you this week!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?